Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day Eighty - Grapes; Bedroom Door; and Vineyard Visitors

I started my day by harvesting my Edelweiss grapes. I got at least 1.5 gallon of berries which isn't too bad for vines that shouldn't have produced any grapes this year. They are very sweet and already had a faint alcohol taste. I had to fight the wasp and bees for them. Currently they are starting the fermentation process on the back porch and it smells divine. They will make a Riesling style wine.

Nic got most of the rest of the roof shingled. All he lacks is the roof over the south porch. Hopefully Jeff will be able to get that porch poured this week so Nic can get that roof built and shingled. Nic started working on framing the door out of our bedroom onto the upper deck. (Which isn't there, yet, as it will be over the south porch.) We also talked about where we wanted the bedroom walls and the bathroom. We settled on 5' walls. It was fun watching Tony and Nic figure out how much "head" room there would be if the back of the toilet was up against a five foot wall. They they discussed how much "head" room a guy needs. I "sat" that discussion out, since it didn't really concern me.

I'm in the market for a headboard and now I know, it can't be over five foot tall. Our bedroom on Hoover Avenue had sloped ceilings and a wall much shorter than 5 feet. We had to turn our bed around and put the foot against the wall and the head out toward the middle of the room.

After Tony got off work he went up to help Nic. I'm not sure what he did besides pick up trash and hold down this pile of lumber. Somebody's got to do it. I mean is there anything worse than run away lumber? (Nice legs, Sweetie!)

We had our regular, nightly visitors in the vineyard. This poor guy just with through his annual molt and doesn't have any tail feathers.

The peacocks (there are four of them) belong to the neighbor from whom we purchased the farm. They like the vineyard because it is a smorgasbord of bugs. Apparently, after they molt, they also become less amorous. At least they have gotten a lot quieter.

5 comments:

  1. If you are in the market for a new headboard, what's going to happen to the old one? I would love to have an actual bed once we get to Montana, no more mattresses on the floor! I'm tired of living in a bachelor pad.

    And...did dad cut his hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dad is wearing my old shirt!
    -Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Mags, you can't have the our old bed. I gave it to Nic and Hil when we moved back up here. Sorry.

    Tony didn't cut his hair, he just wears it pulled back into a pony tail at the nape of his neck. It is funny you mentioned that. Becky Schroeder told me that Isabella (Sarah's little girl) got real excited when she saw Tony this morning and said, "Look, Grandma, there is one of our presidents." He could pass for some of those colonial guys, Washington, Jefferson, etc.

    Sus, if Tony didn't have hand-me-downs from you and Bryce I think he would be naked most of the time! And we ALL thank you for the hand-me-downs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grapes look spectacular! I will try to come by some time this week to pick up by coffee cup and smell the grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://brasscamel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete