Monday, July 13, 2009

Day Forty - Mystery Plant

The lumber yard had planned to deliver the trusses today but alas it is too wet, it will probably be too wet tomorrow as well. (Can't you just see me pressing the back of my hand to my forehead as I fall back onto my fainting couch when I use the word "alas"?)

So what to say about "day 40". I had such high hopes for "day 40". You know God sent rain for 40 days and nights when the great flood covered the earth. Moses was up on the mountain chatting with God for 40 days when he got the instructions for building the tabernacle and the Ark and all the other cool stuff. He was back up on the mountain for another 40 days when God gave him the original "top ten". It took the physicians 40 days to embalm Joseph. When the 12 wise men went up to Canaan (if you know the song, it is now stuck in your head for the rest of the day) they explored for 40 days. Jesus prayed and fasted in the wilderness for 40 days and He appeared to his followers over a period of 40 after his crucification. (Yes, as a matter of fact I do own Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible.) So as you can see, I had a pretty solid reason for expecting great things for "Day 40" of the house building project. The high light of the day was Jeff, the concrete finish guy, came out to talk about the porch floor/cellar roof and other areas he will be finishing. And now I have to make a decision about concrete stain color. We have made progress but nothing like embalming a patriarch or exploring the promise land. Come to think of it that exploring the promise land didn't turn out so good did it?

I can't have a day without a photo. And since I have already brought God into the blog today, I'll ask the age old question. Why on earth did He create this plant? And why does it look so healthy, why haven't I hit it with an unhealthy shot of Round-up Ultra?
Maybe I should make this a contest. Guess the name (common or botanical) of the mystery plant. And to answer the question of why I haven't already destroyed it, it's not on my property. It's in the neighbors yard when I walk past it several times a day on my way to and from the farm. The eleventh commandment: Thou shall not kill thy neighbors plant.

2 comments:

  1. Knowing very little about horticulture - my guess is poison ivy, only because of your comments. Just thinking about the possibility makes me itch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you are the winner. Your prize, should you choose to accept it, is a free weekend at Waste Not Farm. Unless you want to sleep in a tent you might want to wait until the house is finished.

    ReplyDelete