Thursday, June 4, 2009

Introduction















Yesterday evening I mentioned to my daughter-in-law, Hilary and 12 year old granddaughter, Alex that I was going to start a blog about building our dream home and what is happening on our farm.  In classic almost-teenager fashion, Alex asked me, "What makes you think anyone cares?"  Well, in classic Grandma fashion, I'm going do it any way, if for no other reason than to help me keep track of the progress.   And I would like to think that my family members who live far away do care.  Right, Susie? 

Let me introduce us.  My husband, Tony, is a retire high school math teacher.  He lasted exactly 8 months before he went out and found a job, mixing paint at Walmart.  He does other things in the hardware department as well, but I hear that the customers call him "the paint guy".  Pretty funny for a guy who can not match colors.

I, Jeanne, am a retired horticulture professor.  I retired last May, one day before Tony.  Several months before we retired we purchased a small, 8 acre farm near Union, Missouri.  That also puts us close to our three granddaughters (and our son and daughter-in-law.)  

Last summer (2008) we cleared underbrush; planted fruit trees and grapes; built a barn and greenhouse; and got to know our property.  The Marshall Tucker Band said it best, "My idea of a good time is walkin' my property line and knowin' the mud on my boots is mine."

This spring we planted a big garden and started working on our dream home design.  As I start this blog the garden is thriving and I have sold some fresh produce at the local farmers market; we have eaten some wonderful veggies; and I have frozen quite a lot for our later enjoyment.  Today, June 4, 2009, we started digging the basement of our dream home.

Oh, one last thing.  Why did we name our little farm "Waste Not Farm?"  Because we are just a couple of old hippies who are pretty concerned about this old Earth.  We are not totally "green" but as much as possible we do try to conserve, reuse, recycle, and in general, just not waste.

1 comment: